Skip to: search, navigation, or content.

Indiana University Bloomington

Graduate Career Services

Global Reputation

“We recruit at top business schools like Kelley, where we know we can find the best talent. And because our people are our biggest asset, having the right people, who are ready for client work on day one, is key to our success.”

Jay Preston, Partner, Assurance Services, EY

International Hiring Help

Let the Immigration Bridge Program help you navigate the international hiring process.

Learn more >>

Hiring International Students

A Recruiter's Guide
The Kelley School of Business at Indiana Univesity hosts students from wide range of countries including China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and others. In the MBA class of 2013 at Kelley, 37 percent of the students were international.

Our international students are an impressive group who have achieved excellence and created value in their academic careers. They add merit to the Kelley School and are an integral part of our school's cultural diversity

Hiring an International Student

International students enrolled in the Kelley School of Business generally hold an F-1 visa or J-1 visa.

Students with an F-1 status are eligble for 
Curricular Practical Training work authorization. 

Students should work with the IU Office of International Services prior to employment. 

Benefits of International Students
  International work experiences
  Multicultural experience
  Multilingual skills
  Global perspective
  Global network
  High academic achievement

As of March 1, 2003, the functions of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)  were officially transferred to the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

  • F-1 Visa Holders are eligible for Curricular Practical Training, which is usually used for summer internships. After completion of studies, students are eligible for employment in a status called Optional Practical Training. This OPT status is valid for 12 months following graduation.
  • J-1 Visa Holders are authorized for 18 months of Academic Training employment. Students may use any month or months of this period for their summer internship, with the rest of the authorized employment period used during their full-time employment.

In many cases, an international student may continue to be employed after the conclusion of the Optional Practical Training or the Academic Training period provided that a change to another visa type is approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The most common of these is an H-1B visa. The Immigration Bridge Program can help employers with the full-time international hiring process.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do international students need work authorization before I can hire them?
No.International students must have work authorization before they can begin actual employment, but not before they are offered employment. J-1 students must have a written job offer in order to apply for work authorization. Many F-1 students will be in the process of obtaining work authorizations while they are interviewing for employment. Students can give employers a reasonable estimate of when they expect to receive work authorization.

Q: What if I want to continue to employ students after their practical training authorization expires?

With a bit of planning, an employer can hire international students (F-1 visa holders) to continue to work for them in the H-1B visa category for a maximum of 6 years. The H-1B is a temporary working visa for workers in a "specialty occupation." The application procedure to the USCIS is straightforward. The job must meet two basic requirements: 1) the salary must meet the prevailing wage as defined by the Department of Labor, and 2) a bachelor's degree is a minimum normal requirement for the position.

Q: Doesn't an employer have to prove that international students are not taking jobs from a qualified candidate with permanent work authorization?

No. Employers are not required to document that a citizen of another country did not take a job from a qualified candidate with permanent work authorization if that person is working under F-1, J-1, or H-1B visas. Employers must document that they did not turn down a qualified applicant for the position only when they wish to hire foreign citizens on a permanent basis and sponsor them for a permanent resident status.

For more information, contact the IU Office of International Services at (812) 855-9086, fax (812) 855-4418, or