Diversity Challenge Initiative seeks to increase diversity awareness within the Kelley student body and organizations by:
- Encouraging student organizations to do a self-analysis of their diversity and inclusiveness strategies
- Challenging student organizations to implement and/or augment their diversity and inclusiveness strategies
- Providing a forum to share with the rest of the Kelley community their diversity and inclusiveness strategies
- Rewarding and providing funds for the continuation of said diversity and inclusiveness strategies
The activities mentioned above are geared toward developing an overall reinvigoration of academic life in which increased diversity and community are joined in scholarly achievement.
The Diversity Challenge is envisioned to be rolled out in the following manner:
- In January of 2009, at a session led by KSDC, a Diversity Challenge proposal will be communicated to all student organizations encouraging them to participate.
- Thereafter, in February and March, organizations that have expressed interest in the Diversity Challenge will have the opportunity to work with teams from the corporate sponsor and the Office of Diversity Initiatives in doing a self-analysis of their diversity and inclusiveness programming and recruiting strategies. Simultaneously, KSDC, in conjunction with the corporate sponsors, will launch an aggressive diversity awareness campaign and tentatively hold a workshop to better help student organizations grasp the value and ultimate impact of diversity and inclusiveness.
- In April, following a completion of each student organization's assessment, there will be a session where each of the student organization will have an opportunity to present their strategies for diversity and inclusiveness before a panel of judges comprised of faculty, administrative, corporate sponsor and KSDC leadership members. This session will also be open to any interested individual of the Kelley student body. Each of the presentations will be assessed by the panel of judges using a selected criteria. Three student organizations, with the most innovative strategies, will then be selected to receive financial support (seed money) to further advance their strategy.
The breakdown of the seed money to student organizations:
- 1st Place- $2,500
- 2nd Place-$1,500
- 3rd Place-$1,000
The Diversity Challenge will then culminate at the end of April with a KSCD celebration banquet.. This event will seek to:
- Recognize the 3 student organizations with most innovative diversity and inclusiveness strategies
- Celebrate KSDC mission and recognize its leadership team and corporate sponsors
- Provide an overview and recognition of key supporters of the Office of Diversity Initiatives
Below is a tentative timetable for the Diversity Challenge. Please go to our calendar for specific dates.
|Description||Start & End Dates|
|Phase One||Diversity Challenge Kick-off||January 2009|
|Phase Two||Student Organizations Assessments and Strategy Development||February and March 2009|
|Phase Three||Student Organizations Presentations||Mid-April 2009|
|Phase Four||KSDC Year-End Celebration Event||April 2009|