AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Applied Econometrics
- Industrial Organization
Managerial Economics and Business Strategy, 8th Edition, with Michael R. Baye, McGraw-Hill, 2014.
Predictive Analytics for Business Strategy: A Logical Guide to How Data Can Generate Actionable Knowledge, McGraw-Hill, 2015 (expected).
Publications in Academic Journals
1. Do Incumbents Improve Service Quality in Response to Entry: Evidence from Airlines' On-Time Performance, with Daniel Simon, forthcoming in Management Science.
3. Indirect Network Effects and the Quality Dimension: A Look at the Gaming Industry, with Jin-Hyuk Kim and Calvin Qui, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 37, 6, 99-108, 2014.
4. Is Dual Agency in Real Estate Transactions a Cause for Concern?, with Vrinda Kadiyali and Daniel Simon, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,48, 1, pp. 164-195, 2014.
5. The Impact of the Partnership Long-term Care Insurance Program on Private Coverage, with Haizhen Lin, Journal of Health Economics, 32, 6, pp. 1205-1213, 2013.
6. Racial Bias in Expert Quality Assessment: A Study of Newspaper Movie Reviews, with Lona Fowdur and Vrinda Kadiyali, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 84, 1, pp. 292-307, 2012.
7. The Welfare Impact of Reducing Choice in Medicare Part D: A Comparison of Two Regulation Strategies, with Claudio Lucarelli and Kosali Simon, International Economic Review, 53, 4, pp. 1155-1177, 2012. NBER working paper # w14296.
8. Relating Inertia and Experience in Technology Markets: An Analysis of Households' Personal Computer Choices, Applied Economics, 43, 29, pp. 4501-4514, 2011.
9. Are Risk Preferences Stable Across Contexts? Evidence from Insurance Data, with Levon Barseghyan and Joshua Teitelbaum, American Economic Review, 101, 2, pp. 591-631, 2011.
11. Has the Internet Accelerated the Diffusion of New Products?, with Daniel Simon, Research Policy, 38(8), 1269-1277, 2009.
12. How Do Households Choose Quality and Time to Replacement for a Rapidly Improving Durable Good?, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 27(2), 302-311, 2009.
13. Multimarket Contact and On-Time Performance in the US Airline Industry, with Daniel Simon, Academy of Management Journal, 52(2), 336-354, 2009.
14. Repeat Purchase amid Rapid Quality Improvement: Structural Estimation of Demand for Personal Computers, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 17(1), 1-33, Spring, 2008. (Formerly "Measuring the Digital Divide: Structural Estimation of Demand for Personal Computers")
15. Internet Adoption and Usage Patterns are Different: Implications for the Digital Divide, with Avi Goldfarb, Information Economics and Policy, 20(1), 2-15, March, 2008.
16. The Beginning of Online/Retail Competition and Its Origins: An Application to Personal Computers, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 25(1), 139-156, February, 2007.
Publications in Books and Other Outlets
17. The Dynamic Effects of Triple Play Bundling in Telecommunications, Time Warner Research Program on Digital Communications, Winter, 2012.
18. The Diffusion of the Internet and the Geography of the Digital Divide in the United States, with Shane Greenstein, in (eds) Robin Mansell, Chrisanthi Avgerou, Danny Quah, and Roger Silverstone, The Oxford Handbook of Information and Communication Technologies, Oxford University Press, pp. 168-195, 2007. NBER working paper # w12182.
19. The Geographical Diffusion of the Internet in the United States, with Shane Greenstein, in (eds) Munindar Singh, The Practical Handbook of Internet Computing, CRC Press, pp. 56-1 – 56-17, 2004.
20. Measuring Consumer Preferences for Video Content Provision via Cord-Cutting Behavior, with Shane Greenstein, revision requested at the Journal of Economics and Management Strategy.
21. The Impact of Mergers on Quality Provision: Evidence from the Airline Industry, with Daniel Simon, revision requested at the Journal of Industrial Economics.
22. The Effect of Competition on Toxic Pollution Releases, with Daniel Simon, revision requested at the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
23. Determinants of Policy Response: The Case of the Partnership Long-term Care Insurance Program, with Haizhen Lin, revision requested at Health Services Research.
24. Information Technology and Patient Health: Analyzing Outcomes, Populations, and Mechanisms, with Seth Freedman and Haizhen Lin, under review.