James M. Mayer
- Assistant Professor of Marketing
- PhD, University of Georgia, 2011
- MBA, Wake Forest University, 2001
- BS, State University of New York at Geneseo, 1996
- Assistant Professor, Kelley School of Business (2011-present)
- Research/Teaching Assistant, Terry College, University of Georgia (2006-2011)
- Product Manager, Wyeth Consumer Healthcare (2005-2006)
- Brand Manager, Kraft Foods (2001-2005)
- Brand Management Intern, Sara Lee (2000-2001)
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Honored as Outstanding Professor by IUPUI Athletic Department, 2014 and 2011
- Kelley Excellence in MBA Teaching Award, 2013
- Recognized for teaching rating in top 15% of all Kelley faculty, 2012
- Honored faculty member at Kelley-Ind. Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity awards, 2011
- University of Georgia Outstanding Teaching Assistant, 2009
- Nominated for University of Georgia Excellence in Teaching Award, 2009
- Best Paper in Doctoral Student Track, Society for Marketing Advances Conference, 2009
- Southwestern Lamb/Hair/McDaniel Award, Society for Marketing Advances Conference, 2009
- University of Georgia Graduate School Teaching Portfolio Certificate of Excellence, 2008
Advertising efficacy, Consumer behavior, Humorous consumer communication, Integrated marketing communications
- Yoon, Hye Jin and Mark Mayer (2014), “Do Humor and Threat Work Well Together? The Moderating Effect of Need for Cognition in Humorous Threat Persuasion Advertisements," International Journal of Advertising,.forthcoming.
- Roehm, Michelle, Michael Brady, and Mark Mayer (2013), “Send in the Clowns? An Exploratory Study of the Efficacy of Humor in Service Encounters,” Association for Consumer Research (ACR) Conference.
- Mayer, Mark (2012), "A Retrospective Look at the Portrayals of the Female in Male-Targeted Cigarette Print Advertising," Society for Marketing Advances (SMA) Conference.
- Mayer, Mark, Piyush Kumar, and Hye Jin Yoon (2012), “Does Sexual Humor Work on Mars, But Not on Venus? Exploring Consumer Acceptance of Sexually Humorous Advertising by Gendered Brands," Winter American Marketing Association (AMA) Conference.
- Baek, Tae Hyun and Mark Mayer (2010), “Sexual Imagery in Cigarette Advertising Before and After the Master Settlement Agreement," Health Communication, Vol. 25, No. 8, November, pages 747-757.