- Professor of Information Systems
- John T. Chambers Chair of Internet Systems
- Senior Editor, MIS Quarterly
- Publisher, MIS Quarterly Executive
- PhD, Business Administration, University of Arizona, 1991
- MA, Business Administration, Queen's University, 1984
- BS, Computer Science, Acadia University, 1982
- President, Cactus Meetings and Technologies, Inc. 1992-2002
- Product Manager (1985-1987) and Systems Analyst (1983-1985), BCW Consulting, Kingston, Ontario
- Associate Systems Analyst, Sperry Univac, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, 1978-1982
- Programmer Analyst, Government of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, 1977
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Ranked among the top ten most productive researchers in information systems by three articles since 1998
- Best Published Paper in Organizational Communication and Information Systems, Academy of Management, 2004
- Exceptional Inspiration and Guidance Award Nominee 2003
- Kelley Research Award Full Rank 2002
- Best Paper in the Collaboration Technology Track, 32nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 1999
- Third Place, Society for Information Management Annual Paper Competition, 1994
- Best Paper in the Collaboration Technology Track, 27th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 1994
- Alpha Kappa Psi, Distinguished Publication in Business Communication, Associationg for Business Communication, 1993
- Best Publication in Information Systems, Academy of Management, 1993
- Best Paper in Information Systems, Academy of Management Meeting, Atlanta, 1993
- Doctoral Fellow, 10th International Conference on Information System 1989
- National Doctoral Fellowship in Business and Management, American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business 1987
- University Medal in Computer Science, Acadia University 1982
- Alumni Outstanding Student Award, Acadia University 1982
Collaboration Technologies, Knowledge Management, Data Communications, The Internet
- Bartelt, V., and A.R. Dennis (2014), "Nature and Nurture: The Impact of Automaticity and the Structuration of Communication on Virtual Team Behavior and Performance," MIS Quarterly, 38(2): 521-538
- Dennis, A.R., R.K. Minas, and A. Bhagwatwar (2013), “Sparking Creativity: Improving Electronic Brainstorming with Individual Cognitive Priming,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 29(4): 195-216.
- Garfield, M.J. and A.R. Dennis (2013), “Towards and Integrated Model of Group Development: Disruption of Routines by Technology-Induced Change,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 29:3, 2012-2013, 43-86.
- Dennis, A. R., L. P. Robert, A. M. Curtis, B. Hasty, and S. T. Kowalczyk (2012), “Trust is in the Eye of the Beholder: A Vignette Study of Post-Event Behavioral Controls' Effects on Individual Trust in Virtual Teams,” Information Systems Research, 23(2): 546.
- Dimoka, A., R. D. Banker, I. Benbasat, F. D. Davis, A. R. Dennis, D. Gefen, A. Gupta, A. Ischebeck, P. Kenning, P. A. Pavlou, G. Müller-Putz, R. Riedl, J. vom Brocke, B. Weber (2012), “On the Use of Neurophysiological Tools in IS Research: Developing a Research Agenda for NeuroIS,” MIS Quarterly, 36:3, 2012, 679-A19.
- Ko, D. G. and A. R. Dennis (2011), “Profiting from Knowledge Management: The Impact of Time and Experience,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 22, No. 1, March, pp. 134-152.
- Brown, S. A., A. R. Dennis, and V. Venkatesh (2010), “Predicting Collaboration Technology Use: Integrating Technology Adoption and Collaboration Research,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 9-53.
- Dennis, A. R., T. M. Duffy, and H. Cakir (2010), “IT Programs in High Schools: Lessons from the Cisco Networking Academy,” Communications of the ACM, Online Edition, July. Read Abstract
- Robert, L.P., A.R. Dennis, and Y.T.C. Hung (2009), “Individual Swift Trust and Knowledge-Based Trust in Face-to-Face and Virtual Team Members,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 26:2, 241-279. Read Abstract
Fuller, R. M. and A. R. Dennis (2009), “Does Fit Matter? The Impact of Task-Technology Fit and Appropriation on Team Performance in Repeated Tasks,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 2-17.Read Abstract
Robert, L. P., A. R. Dennis, and M. K. Ahuja (2008), “Social Capital and Knowledge Integration in Digitally Enabled Teams,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 314-334.Read Abstract
- FitzGerald, Jerry and Alan Dennis (2008), Business Data Communications and Networking (10th Edition), John Wiley & Sons.
Dennis, A. R., R. M. Fuller, and J. S. Valacich (2008), “Media, Tasks and Communication Processes: A Theory of Media Synchronicity,” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 575-600.Read Abstract
- Heninger, W. G., A. R. Dennis, and K. McNamara Hilmer (2006), “Individual Cognition and Dual Task Interference in Group Support Systems,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 1-10. Read Abstract
- Dennis, A. R., J. S. Valacich, M. A. Fuller, and C. Schneider (2006), "Research Standards for Promotion and Tenure in Information Systems", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 1, March, pp. 1-12. Read Abstract
- Dennis, A. R. and N. J. Taylor (2006), “Information Foraging on the Web: The Effects of 'Acceptable' Internet Delays on Multi-page Information Search Behavior”, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 810-824. Read Abstract
- Dennis, A. R. and I. Vessey (2005), “Three Knowledge Management Strategies: Knowledge Hierarchies, Knowledge Markets and Knowledge Communities,” MIS Quarterly Executive, Vol. 4, No. 4. Read Abstract
- Dennis, A. R. and B. Reinicke (2004), “Beta vs. VHS and the Acceptance of Electronic Brainstorming Technology,” MIS Quarterly, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 1-20. Read Abstract
- Dennis, Alan, Barbara Wixom, and Robey Roth (2003), Systems Analysis and Design: An Applied Approach (2nd Edition), John Wiley & Sons.
- Dennis, A. R., B. Wixom, and R. J. Vandenberg (2001), "Understanding Fit and Appropriation Effects in Group Support Systems via Meta-Analysis," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 2, June, pp. 167-197. Read Abstract
- Trieschmann, J. S., A. R. Dennis, G. Northcraft, and W. A. Niemi (2000), "Serving Multiple Constituencies in the Business School: MBA-Progam vs. Research Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 1130-1141. Read Abstract