Applied Portfolio Selection
- 1.5 credits
- Prerequisite: F520 and F529 (co-requisites)
A student group is selected to manage an existing portfolio of investments, the Reese Investment Fund. Each student is responsible for analyzing an industry group and the associated firms. The major focus of the course is conducting a detailed security analysis and presenting the findings to the Fund’s Board of Advisors, which is composed of investment professionals. In essence, the students function as an independent investment management group for the portfolio. Admission to the class is selective, based on the student’s academic and professional background and interest in the investment profession.
- Value line and the empirical evidence
- Empirical return regularities
- Computer software available for use
- Screening techniques
- Financial statement analysis
- Common stock valuation
- The Security Analysis Report
- Benefits of portfolio construction
Course Materials: Readings packet of selected articles. Class participation (15%), industry selection report (10%), security analysis report and formal presentation (75%).