Study AbroadIU Administered Semester Exchange Program
ESADE Business School at Ramon Llull University
Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and located on the Mediterranean Sea. As the second largest city in Spain, Barcelona is one of the world’s major global cities with a metropolitan area population of five million. Its unique blend of urban and Mediterranean culture offering beaches, museums, parks, and monuments has created a strong tourism industry. It is also home to Futbol Club Barcelona, one of world’s most prestigious and winning soccer teams.
The city has a growing financial center and is consistently ranked as one of the top five European cities for doing business. Additionally, Barcelona offers one of the largest industrial sectors in Spain, specializing in textile and automotive manufacturing as well as chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
Founded 50 years ago, ESADE at Ramon Llull University is considered the top private business school in Spain. It collaborates with more than 100 universities, organizations, and academic networks across five continents.
- Spring: Early February to late May
- Fall: Early September to late December
- Business courses taught in English and Spanish at ESADE
- Classes in Spanish with Spanish and international students
- 15 IU credits which equals 5–6 classes in business or global studies in Spanish
- Program will satisfy the IU world language and culture requirement
To be eligible for the ESADE program, you must:
- Be a business student on the Bloomington campus only making normal degree progress
- Be in at least your third full-time semester of college
- Have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Have completed or will complete by the start of the program: E201, E202, and the Business Integrative Core
- Have completed or will complete by the start of the program: fourth semester Spanish with at least a B average
For complete eligibility and selection criteria see: Academic Policies of the Office of Overseas Study.
Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of the match between the program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during the program period are not eligible.
Students are provided with resources to secure local apartments.
Estimated Program Costs
- Fee paid to IU: (academic fees, health insurance)
- Indiana resident: $4,571
- Nonresident: $15,641
A $500 deposit will be due to the Office of Overseas Studies within two weeks of acceptance
- Housing: $3,000
- Food: $1,200
- Local Transportation: $250
- Miscellaneous: $500
Airfare, personal expenses, and vacation travel are additional costs.
- Most IU financial aid may be applied to semester and academic year programs administered or cosponsored by IU. However, there are some exceptions.
- The Kelley School of Business Overseas Study Scholarship application will be made available after acceptance to the program.
- Edward L. Hutton International Experiences Group (HIEP)
- General information about financial aid and additional scholarship opportunities .
Additional Information and Resources
Fall 2014 Application Deadline: Monday, February 3, 2014
The ESADE Barcelona Exchange Program is extremely competitive. We strongly encourage you to also apply to the Barcelona-Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) Semester Program or Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) Barcelona Program as a backup.
An IU committee reviews applications for selection and final approval. Notification of application status will be sent electronically within two weeks of the application deadline.