Financial Database Policies
The IU Kelley School of Business is a subscribing member institution of the Wharton Research Data Services, or WRDS. With it's easy-to-use web and telnet interfaces, WRDS has quickly become the "standard" tool by which academicians access financial research data. WRDS accounts are limited to IU Kelley School of Business faculty/staff/students and to faculty/Ph.D's in other schools on the IU-Bloomington campus.
Descriptions of WRDS Accounts:
- Faculty accounts are available to all standing faculty of the IU Kelley School of Business.
- Staff (IT/Librarian) accounts are provided for full-time support personnel of member institutions.
- Visiting Faculty accounts apply to visiting faculty (non-permanent or part-time position). These accounts are subject to additional review and may not be used after the visiting appointment ends.
- Ph.D. accounts are available to all currently registered Ph.D. candidates of the IU Kelley School of Business.
- Masters Student accounts are available to full-time masters students. These accounts allow unlimited access via the WRDS website. These accounts do not include disk storage. Please note: Masters accounts will not have access to WRDS during summer break..
- Research Assistants (supervised students only) accounts apply to students doing active research under faculty supervision. These accounts require a faculty sponsor.
- Class (Faculty Requestor Only) accounts can only be requested by standing faculty of the IU Kelley School of Business and provide a means for Undergraduate and MBA students to use WRDS as part of a registered class or course project.
All users must agree to the following terms:
- The WRDS service is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only. Use of the WRDS services is governed by and restricted under the Subscription Agreement between the host university or institution (the "Subscriber") and Wharton Research Data Services. Users may not use data downloaded from the WRDS database for any non-academic or commercial endeavor.
- Access to the WRDS database is governed by the Subscription Agreement between the Subscriber and Wharton Research Data Services. Individual WRDS accounts are offered to standing faculty, full-time research staff, and currently-enrolled Ph.D. students at Subscriber institutions. Access and individual accounts for research assistants, visiting scholars and other non-permanent faculty is offered at Wharton Research Data Service's discretion. Access by other types of students is limited to class accounts, in-library use accounts, and special IP authenticated services as provided by Wharton Research Data Services.
- Users must access the WRDS database by the method or methods prescribed by WRDS. These methods may include Access Pass, a system that enables WRDS to prevent unauthorized or inappropriate use of the WRDS database by requiring user authentication. Methods of permitted access may change from time to time.
- All users must protect the confidentiality of your WRDS username and password. Users may not reveal, disclose, transfer or share your username and password with anyone, including without limitation a co-author or other collaborator.
- All users will be prompted to reset your password on an annual basis.
- The university or institution may place additional restrictions on use of and access to the WRDS services. All users must learn about and honor restrictions your university or institution may place on users of the WRDS services and any use of the licensed data that is accessed through the WRDS services.
- Our WRDS policy prohibits undergraduate/Masters students from accessing WRDS during the extended break between semesters. Once the new semester begins, students will again be able to access their WRDS accounts.
- The rights to access and/or use the WRDS services is subject to immediate suspension if there is any evidence of the misuse of the WRDS services account, username or password. If a violation of this agreement is suspected, WRDS reserves the right to disable the user's account, at which time the WRDS Representative for your university will be notified. Following an internal investigation, WRDS will determine whether the account may be reactivated or permanently disabled. If the account is reactivated, the password must be reset.
- WRDS and its third party data providers do not make any representations or guarantees about the accuracy or timeliness of the content. Due to the number of sources from which WRDS contents are obtained, and the inherent hazards of electronic distribution, there may be delays, omissions, or inaccuracies in the contents. Although the contents have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, they are provided to you on an "as is" basis without warranties of any kind. With respect to this service and the contents, and to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, WRDS and its third party data providers hereby disclaim all express, implied and statutory warranties of any kind to the user or any third party, including, but not limited to, representations and warranties regarding accuracy, timeliness, completeness, correctness, currentness, noninfringement, merchantability, or fitness for any particular purpose, or any representations or warranties arising from usage or custom or trade or by operation of law. WRDS, and its third party data providers, assume no responsibility for the consequences of any errors or omissions. In no event shall WRDS or any third party data provider or any of their licensors be liable to the user or to anyone else for any loss or injury caused in whole or in part by contingencies beyond their control or negligence in procuring, compiling, interpreting, editing, writing, reporting or delivering any content. In no event shall WRDS or any third party data provider or any of their licensors be liable to the user or anyone else for any claim arising out of or relating to WRDS-provided content, including, but not limited to, any decision made or action taken by you in reliance upon such content or for any types of damages (such as, but not limited to, direct, consequential, special, incidental, punitive or indirect damages), even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
WRDS System Policies
- Downloads from the WRDS website are limited to 2 GB. When output becomes larger than this limit, the file is deleted and the summary page reports 0 kb.
- Users may run 1 query at a time on the WRDS website.
- Class accounts may run 15 simultaneous queries on the WRDS website.
Unix - Disk Space Storage
- WRDS users receive 750MB of permanent storage in a 'home' directory located at '/home/schoolname/username'
- 300GB of additional disk space is available in each of the sastemp directories (/sastemp0 - /sastemp14) .
- Please review conditions below.
The "sastemp" directories are provided for temporary, shared work space storage, and are not intended for reliable permanent storage of files. Each sastemp directory is 300 gigabytes of working space. Output may be saved there at the completion of a program, but only to be IMMEDIATELY removed.
Any file in /sastemp which is either not in use by an active program or being transferred to a user's home school can be deleted without prior notice. Files on /sastemp are deleted automatically every 48 hours. Please note: Files kept in your home directory will never be deleted.
- Files located here are not backed up!
- Temporary work libraries created by SAS (i.e., SAS_work* subdirectories) are automatically removed when the associated SAS process has ended.
- If any one of the Sastemp directories is more than 95% full, the user accounting for the most space on that particular file system will have all of his/her files deleted from it without notice, regardless of file age.
- Beyond the specific criteria listed above, WRDS may delete Sastemp files without notice if they are being used for long-term storage or a single user's files are preventing others from access to adequate Sastemp space. Fortunately the latter has been a rare event, and there is often an opportunity to contact the owner before file deletion.
- Users may run up to 3 jobs at a time.
- In order to preserve system integrity and maintain a high level of performance, WRDS reserves the right to review programs and other files and/or terminate programs.
WRDS E-Mail Support, staffed by the WRDS Support Team at the Wharton School, is available at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, administrative questions about WRDS and its research databases may be directed locally to the IU WRDS Representative.