John W. Maxwell
jwmax [at] indiana [dot] edu (E-mail)
- Chairperson and Professor of Business Economics & Public Policy
- W. George Pinnell Professorship
- BScS (Mathematics), Acadia University, 1986
- MA (Economics), Queen's University, 1987
- PhD (Economics), Queen's University, 1993
- Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 1993-present
- Research Professor, Richard Ivey School of Business, the University of Western Ontario, 2009 - present
- Board Member, Alliance for Research in Corporate Sustainability (ARCS), 2009 - present
- Academic Director, Lawrence National Center for Policy and Management, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, 2008-2009
- Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, 2008-2009
- Chairperson, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 2006-2008, 2010 - present
- Chairperson of the International Scholars Advisory Committee to the Department of Environmental Resource and Development Economics, School of Economics, Peking University (Beijing University), 2003-present
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- FRSA. Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
- Research Fellow CCISSR (The China Center for Insurance and Social Security Research) Peking University (Beijing University)
- Senior Fellow, ZEI, University of Bonn, Germany.
Corporate Environmentalism and Public Policy, Non-market Strategy, Risk Management, Environmental Economics
In addition to his principle appointment at Kelley, Professor Maxwell is a Research Professor at the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario. He is a Fellow of The Royal Society for the Encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA) and also a Research Fellow at CCISSR, Peking University and ZEI, University of Bonn. He is a founding board member of the Alliance for Research in Corporate Sustainability and is also Chairman of the Foreign Scholars Advisory Committee to the Department of Environment, Resource and Development Economics at the Peking University.
Professor Maxwell's main area of research interest concerns the interface between industry, government, non-governmental organizations and our natural environment. He has published numerous scholarly and practitioner articles and edited volumes in this area including a collection of his work, entitled Corporate Environmentalism and Public Policy, which was published by Cambridge University Press in 2004. Professor Maxwell has been a visiting scholar at University College, London, Bonn University and Peking University. Professor Maxwell has taught courses on the Global Environment of Business, Corporate Non-market Strategy, Managerial Economics, and Regulation and Public Policy to undergraduate, MBA and PhD students.
Lyon, Thomas P. and John W. Maxwell (2011), "Greenwash: Environmental Disclosure Under Threat of Audit," Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 20, Issue 1, pp. 3-41. Read Abstract ››
Harbaugh, Rick, John W. Maxwell, and Beatrice Roussillon (2011), "Label Confusion: The Groucho Effect of Uncertain Standards," Management Science, Vol. 57, No. 9, September, pp. 1512-1527. Read Abstract ››
Reuveny, Rafael, John W. Maxwell, and Jefferson Davis (2011), “On Conflict over Natural Resources,” Ecological Economics, Vol. 70, Issue 4, February, pp. 698-712.
Read Abstract ››