Information Technology Service Management
The Information Technology Service Management Certificate (ITSMC) Program enables professionals to develop a holistic understanding of IT service management.
Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) is a globally recognized discipline for managing IT services and information systems. Gone are the days when information technology was managed via stacks of technical components; the focus today is on services from an end-to-end delivery perspective and how those services contribute to the achievement of business objectives.
Process-based ITSM disciplines provide the necessary management principles to incorporate technological advances while mitigating the associated risks.
The Indiana University ITSM Certificate Program offered by the Kelley School of Business explores key ITSM frameworks by using a blend of academic exploration and practical application.
Centered on delivering technical functionality, ITSM is supported by many well-known best practice frameworks including ITIL® and COBIT®. The program also upholds the ISO/IEC 20000:2011 international standard.
Who should apply?
The program is geared toward entry to middle level employees.
Program Structure and Delivery
The program is delivered in a blended format with face-to-face instruction, video conferencing, and web-based learning.
- Typical program duration is 16 months.
- The program consists of four courses, taught sequentially.
- Duration of each course is 12 weeks.
- One-and-a-half days in-residence for each course.
Certificate Credits - 12 Credit Hours
- The ITSM Certificate will be issued by Indiana University.
- Up to 12 credits could be transferred to the Kelley School of Business Executive MBA program or the MSIS graduate degree program (subject to admission requirements).
- Industry Certification in Service Management may also be obtained through EXIN based on ISO/IEC 20000.
All four required courses are three graduate credit hours and 12 weeks in duration.
1. IT Service Management Foundation
- The course will focus on linking the various ITSM frameworks via case study exploration.
- Topics include core IT management concepts, overview of IT cost & business value, overview of IT governance, overview of key Service Management frameworks, and analysis of ITSM tools.
2. Delivering Value from ITSM
- Topics covered will center on developing, managing, measuring, and monitoring effective service delivery to ensure value delivery, as defined by the business.
- Key outcomes of this course are the development of a service catalog and supporting documentation such as SLAs, OLAs, cost models, metrics, and reporting.
3. Designing Effective IT Services
- Topics covered will include principles and practical elements of planning new or changed services, in addition to, technical and managerial support necessary for service delivery.
- Key outcomes of this course are the development of a CMDB, appropriate Change and Release policies, and techniques to manage risk.
4. Implementation & Optimization of IT Services
- Topics covered will include principles and practical elements of managing day-to-day operations, the concept of continual service improvement, and key industry trends (e.g., SAAS, cloud, social media).