Faculty & Research
With their internationally renowned research and teaching records, Kelley faculty members are the doctoral students’ most valuable resource. Over 200 Kelley faculty members are at work shaping scholarship and teaching methods in nearly every aspect of business. They are authors of some of the best-selling business textbooks used in colleges and universities around the world, and their research is supported by major corporations and individual donors who fund 69 named chairs, professorships, and fellowships. In addition, our faculty are ranked 7th in the nation on faculty scholarship productivity by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Our incredible faculty want to share their expertise with doctoral students. In fact, it’s what we’re known for. “Collegiality” and “collaboration” between faculty and PhD students aren’t just buzzwords—they’re life at Kelley. The heart of your doctoral study will be a research “apprenticeship” where you learn the finer points of research under the tutelage of one of the best academic minds in your chosen field. You’ll begin to craft your own career by working closely with experienced faculty members at the height of their careers.
We don’t just talk about research—we provide the resources to get it done.
- Research funds (in addition to your basic financial aid package). We provide research funds, on a competitive basis, for predissertation and dissertation research. Additional monies are available from the University Graduate School. Travel funds for conference presentations are also available.
- Computer facilities. Our Doctoral Student Computing Lab provides state-of-the-art computer facilities with updated software programs and databases as well as an in-house technology support team.
- Library. The Kelley School’s library maintains more than 100,000 volumes and subscribes to more than 1,000 journals in business-related fields. In addition, IU’s main library, the Herman B Wells Library, is just across the street from Kelley and provides access to a wide array of journals.
- Research Centers and Institutes. The following research centers and institutes are housed in the Kelley School and sponsor research activities, provide access to firm and data collection opportunities, and link students and faculty to executives:
- Benecki Center for Real Estate Studies (BCRES)
- Center for Brand Leadership (CBL)
- Center for Education and Research in Retailing (CERR)
- Center for Global Sales Leadership (CGSL)
- Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER)
- Center for the Business of Life Sciences (CBLS)
- Indiana Business Research Center (IBRC)
- Information Management Affiliates (IMA)
- Institute for Corporate Governance (ICG)
- Johnson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (JCEI)
- Tobias Center for Leadership Excellence