Janet P. Near
near [at] indiana [dot] edu (E-mail)
Business School, Room 660F
Whistle-blowing in Organizations
- Dale M. Coleman Chair of Management
- Professor in Management
- Ph.D., State University of New York, Buffalo, 1977
- M.A. , State University of New York, Buffalo, 1975
- B.A., University of California, Santa Cruz, 1972
- 7 years in small family business (hotel & restaurant)
Effects of work life on non-work life; Causes and effects of whistle-blowing in organizations
gardening, camping, reading
- research on antecedents (job satisfaction, cultural & work values, emotional intelligence) and consequences of life satisfaction (performance & health)
- research on antecedents (personality & situation) of whistle-blowing and consequences for the firm (long-term performance) and the whistle-blower (retaliation)
Near, Janet P. & Miceli, Marcia P. (2013), "Whistle Blowing," Oxford Bibliographies in Management, Ed. Ricky Griffin, New York: Oxford University Press.
Miceli, M.P., Near, J.P., Rehg, M.T. & Van Scotter, J.R. (2012), "Predicting employee reactions to perceived organizational wrongdoing: Demoralization, justice, proactive personality, and whistle-blowing," Human Relations, 65: 923-954.
Miceli, M.P. & Near, J.P. (2012), "Invited reflections," regarding Near, J.P. & Miceli, M.P. (1985), "Organizational dissidence: The case of whistle-blowing," Journal of Business Ethics, 4(1), 1-16. Eds A.C. Michalos & D.C. Poff. Citation Classics of the Journal of Business Ethics, Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
Miceli, M. P. and J. P. Near, et al. (2011), "Practical implications of the research into whistle-blowing," in R. L. Glass and J. Rost (ed.), The Dark Side of Software Engineering, Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press/Wiley.
Near, J.P. & Miceli, M.P. (2011), "Integrating models of whistle-blowing and wrongdoing: A proposal for a new research agenda," Rebels in Groups: Dissent, Deviance, Difference and Defiance, Eds. J. Jetten, & M. Hornsey (Eds.), Blackwell-Wiley.
Miceli, M. P. and J. P. Near (2010), "When do observers of organizational wrongdoing step up? Recent U.S. research on the factors associated with whistle-blowing," in D. Lewis (ed.), A Global Approach to Public Interest Disclosure Legislation: The Lessons To Be Learned From Existing Statutory Provisions And Research, London: Edward Elgar.
- Miceli, M. P., J. P. Near, and T. M. Dworkin (2009), "A word to the wise: How managers and policy-makers can encourage employees to report wrongdoing," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 86, No. 3, pp. 379-396.
Rode, J. C., M. L. Arthaud-Day, C. H. Mooney, J. P. Near, and T. T. Baldwin (2008), "Ability and personality predictors of salary, perceived job success, and perceived career success in the initial career stage," International Journal of Selection and Assessment, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 292-299.
Miceli, M. P., J. P. Near, and T. M. Dworkin (2008), Whistle-blowing in Organizations, LEA Organization and Management Series, Mahwah, NJ: Taylor and Francis.
Rehg, M. T., M. P. Miceli, J. P. Near, and J. R. Van Scotter (2008), "Antecedents and outcomes of retaliation against whistleblowers: Gender differences and power relationships," Organization Science, Vol. 19, No. 2, March/April, pp. 221-240.
Rode, J. C., M. L. Arthaud-Day, C. H. Mooney, J. P. Near, T. T. Baldwin, R. S. Rubin, and W. H. Bommer (2008), "An examination of the structural, discriminant, nomological, and incremental predictive validity of the MSCEIT© V2.0," Intelligence, Vol. 36, pp. 350-366.