Daniel C. Smith
dansmith [at] indiana [dot] edu (E-mail)
1500 N. State Road 46 Bypass
- President and CEO, IU Foundation
- Former Dean of the Kelley School of Business
- Professor of Marketing
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Pittsburgh
- Budapest, Hungary, Taught one-week seminar series on the use of cases
- Warsaw, Poland, Taught marketing strategy to senior managers through the Ministry of Privatization
- Samsung Consumer Electronics, Taught marketing strategy planning to senior managers
- Ashland Chemical Company in Amsterdam, Marketing Strategy project
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Eli Lilly Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Board of Trustees Distinguished Teaching Award, 2001, 2003
- Outstanding Reviewer Award at the Journal of Marketing, 1999
- Teaching Innovation Award, 1998
- Business Week Four-Star Rated Teacher
- Serve on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Market-Focused Management, and the Journal of Competitive Intelligence
Food and wine, Fly fishing for trout
- Marketing Planning Process Re-design, IBM
- Marketing Strategy and Customer Profitability Analysis, 3M
- Strategy Development and Brand Equity Management, Samsung Corporation
Rusetski, Alexander, Jonlee Andrews and Daniel C. Smith (2013, “Unjustified Prices: Environmental Drivers of Managers' Propensity to Overprice,” forthcoming, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
DelVecchio, Devon, Shanker Krishnan, and Daniel C. Smith (2007), “Cents or Percent? The Effects of Promotion Framing on Price Expectations and Choice,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 3, July, pp. 158-170.
Smith, Daniel C. (2003), “The Importance and Challenges of Being Interesting,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Summer, pp. 319-323.
Sethi, Rajesh, Daniel C. Smith, and C. Whan Park, (2002), “Creating Creative New Product Development Teams,” Harvard Business Review, August, pp. 16-18.
Klink, Richard and Daniel C. Smith (2001), “Threats to the External Validity of Brand Extension Research,” Journal of Marketing Research, August, pp. 326-335.
Sethi, Rajesh, Daniel C. Smith, and C. Whan Park (2001), “The Effect of Cross-Functional Teams on Creativity and the Innovativeness of New Products,” Journal of Marketing Research, February, pp. 73-85.