Randall A. Heron
- Professor of Finance
- Roger and Barbara Schmenner Faculty Fellow
- PhD, Purdue University, 1995
- MBA, Western Illinois University, 1991
- BS, Western Illinois University, 1990
- Associate Professor of Finance, Indiana University, 2003
- Assistant Professor of Finance, Indiana University, 1997
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame, 1995-1997
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- 20 Teaching Excellence Awards (see vita for full details)
- Jensen Prize, Journal of Financial Economics, 2007
- Recognized as one of the academic influencers of 2007 (Business Finance Magazine)
- Recognized as a top five newsmaker of 2006 (Workforce Management)
- Research Excellence Award, Kelley School of Business, 2004
Corporate Finance, Corporate Governance, Mergers and acquisitions
Heron, R. A. and E. Lie (2009), “What Fraction of Stock Option Grants to Top Executives Have Been Backdated or Manipulated?,” Management Science, Vol. 55, No. 4, April, pp. 513-525.
Heron, R. A. and E. Lie (2007), “Does Backdating Explain the Stock Price Pattern Around Executive Stock Option Grants?,” Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 83, pp. 271-295.
Heron, R. A., E. Lie, and R. T. Perry (2007), “On the Use (and Abuse) of Stock Option Grants,” Financial Analysts Journal, Vol. 63, May/June, pp. 17-27.
Heron, R. A. and E. Lie (2006), “On the Use of Poison Pills and Defensive Payouts by Takeover Targets,” Journal of Business, Vol. 79, pp. 1783-1807.
Heron, R. A. and E. Lie (2004), “A Comparison of the Motivations for and the Information Content of Different Types of Equity Offerings,” Journal of Business, Vol. 77, pp. 605-632.
Carow, K., R. A. Heron, and T. Saxton (2004), “Do Early Birds Get the Returns? An Empirical Investigation of Early Mover Advantages in Acquisitions,” Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 25, pp. 563-585.
Heron, R. A. and E. Lie (2002), “Operating Performance and the Method of Payment in Takeovers,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 37, pp. 137-155.
Heron, R. A. and W. G. Lewellen (1998), “An Empirical Analysis of the Reincorporation Decision,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 33, pp. 549-568.