John M. Hassell
- Professor of Accounting
- OneAmerica Chair
- PhD, Indiana University
- MBA, Indiana University
- MS, Oklahoma State University
- BBA, Baylor University
- Professor and Associate Professor, University of Texas at Arlington
- Associate & Assistant Professor, Florida State University
- Associate Instructor, Indiana University
- Instructor, University of Utah
- Instructor, Baylor University
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Kelley School of Business Service Award (2005)
- Awarded 1999 American Institute of CPAs research grant
- University of Texas at Arlington College of Business Administration Distinguished Service Award (1995-1996)
Accounting education, Financial accounting
Webber, Sally A., David Sinason, Barbara Apostolou, and John M. Hassell (2006), "An investigation of auditor assessment of fraud risk," Journal of Forensic Accounting, Vol. VII, No. 2, pp. 411-438.
Baginski, Stephen P., John M. Hassell, and Michael D. Kimbrough (2004), "Why do managers explain their management forecasts?," Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 42, March, pp. 1-29.
- Baginski, Stephen P., John M. Hassell, and Michael D. Kimbrough (2002), "The effect of legal environment on preemptive disclosure: evidence from earnings management forecasts issued in U.S. and Canadian markets," The Accounting Review, Vol. 77, January, pp. 25-50. Reprinted in C.W. Nobes (ed.), Development Studies in International Accounting—Americas and the Far East, The New Library of International Accounting.
Apostolou, Barbara, John M. Hassell, Sally A. Webber, and Glenn E. Sumners (2001), "The relative importance of SAS No. 82 management fraud risk factors," Behavioral Research in Accounting, Vol. 13, pp. 1-24.
Baginski, Stephen P. and John M. Hassell (1997), "The determinants of management forecast precision," The Accounting Review, Vol. 72, April, pp. 303-312.
Baginski, Stephen P., John M. Hassell, and Donald Pagach (1995), "Further evidence on nontrading period information release," Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 12, Fall, pp. 207-221.
Baginski, Stephen P., John M. Hassell, and Gregory Waymire (1994), "Some evidence on the news content in preliminary earnings estimates," The Accounting Review, Vol. 69, January, pp. 265-271.
Baginski, Stephen P., Ed Conrad, and John M. Hassell (1993), "The effects of management forecast precision on equity pricing and on the assessment of earnings uncertainty," The Accounting Review, Vol. 68, October, pp. 913-927.